market in Asaba Delta State called “Cable Point Market” was yesterday wrecked by
fire outbreaksuspected to be due
to electrical fault.
Iyabo Mushin an eyewitness, said
the fire which razed the entrance to the building, started around 2am, and
it was neighbouring house owners who alerted the authorities to it
It was gathered that three persons
who attempted to put out the fire sustained various degrees of injuries, as the
fire was beyond what they could tackle.Residents said they have been
taken to a private hospital where they are currently receiving treatment.
Mr. Ogbueshi Joseph Nwandu,
another eye witness blamed the fire on poor electrical connection, adding the
victims were lucky to have escaped death.
Investigation revealed that in
the past few weeks, residents of Cable Point Quarters have been apprehensive,
following the continuous sparks of cables on the electric poles in the
areas whenever there was power supply.
One of the security men
in the market, Nnamdi Paul, said the fire broke out after a prolonged
sparks from the electrical cables’ switch boxes that were connected to the
Traders whose shops were razed,
one of them, Alhaji Lade Lawal, expressed shock about the incident, saying
he had just stocked his shop.
In his reaction, the state
Commissioner for Special Duties, Mr. Chika Ossai, said the situation was was
unfortunate, promising that the government would find the cause of the fire and
prevent a recurrence.
Officials of the fire service in
Asaba who spoke anonymously said they arrived the scene after the fire had
wreaked havoc on the market.