Umuchukwu in Orumba south Local Government Area of Anambra State, formerly known as Nkerefi was hitherto known as one of the backward and remote communities in the state as it was totally bereft of any meaningful government attention, even to the extent that 90 percent of Anambrarians (including me) have never heard about the community name,.
Because of the growing poverty and absence of opportunities, the community was a haven for
criminality which climaxed with the kidnap of the community's traditional ruler, Igwe Michael Ukaegbu, by some unknown persons.
But all these negative attributes were changed by the emergence of one of their illustrious sons into the scene, Dr. Godwin Maduka, a United States of America (USA) based medical practitioner, who through his foundation he set up 15 years ago, brought projects to the community and compelled the former Governor of the State, Mr. Peter Obi, to construct two roads connecting Umuchukwu and other neighbouring communities.
But the development of the community started with re-christening of Nkerefi to Umuchukwu after a referendum conducted by the administration of Obi.
When Dr. Maduka's foundation visited the then Governor at Government House Awka, with the pathetic story of the deplorable state of their roads in Umuchukwu, they had elected to bear the 50 percent cost of the construction of the roads.
This moved Obi who visited the community himself and was overwhelmed by what he saw and then promised that the Anambra State Government will take over the responsibility of those roads.
Below are the pictures of the great man have done. Note : so many other projects especially the 100 Bungalows scattered all over the village for the poor Widows are not included in the pictures.
1) two churches, one each for the Anglicans and Catholics.
(2) built Trinity Hospital and Maternity.
(3) over 100 standard houses for widows and the poor in the area.
(4) Built Immaculate Conception International College 1 and 2 , with buses donated to them.
(5) he built a police station for security.
(6) he built a magistrate court.
(7) a standard market called (Afor Market), .
(8) built barracks for the Civil Defense staff,
(9) built two monasteries for churches.
(10) built community centre( Community Hall and his own Village Hall)...
(11) built, post office.
(12) built a state high court.
(13) provided transformers to boost electricity in the community.
(14) built mighty edifices for primary and secondary schools.
(15) built a palace for the monarch, civic centre,.
(16) built houses for clerics of Catholic and Anglican churches, among others.
(17) built Five star hotel known as Lion of Africa resort.
(18) the 15 storey tall building is part of the World class International standard Hospital / Health research institute ( which will serve as the destination of all health matters in Africa, since it will be the biggest and the best of it kind in African soil).
This will serve as shame to the Federal Government and some state Government that cannot pay salaries, because of decline in oil price.
He did all these without the oil money.
And to those Billionaires who buys private jets and allow their people to come beg them two spoon of Rice every morning.
Remember he(Godwin Mmaduka) is not the Richest man in Africa, but he is the richest in Heart.
An overly excited native was quick to state, "today, there is no more thatched house in the community. Maduka has replaced every thatched house in the area with three or four bedroom bungalows.
About 100 of such buildings were rebuilt. They belong to the indigent natives, especially widows. All such buildings carry green roofing aluminium zincs for easy identification.
But he did not stop there; to effectively battle criminality in Umuchukwu, Dr. Maduka has equally not only built four two-storey buildings for police stations, but complemented it with a bungalow as officers' mess and another structure to serve as operational base for the men of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) which he donated to the Nigeria Police. He also built headquarters for the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC).
He has also sponsored hundreds of students from his community and have also helped to get them job. He built Vocational center for those who want to learn handwork.
He vowed to make his community look better than Las Vegas, before he will finally come home to settle.
My prayer is that Igbo people should learn from this man and come back to invest, let everyone make his community And state his own Last Vegas.
I also pray that God will bless me like this man and if I did not use it to put smiles on people faces, then he should make me poorest man..
His name is Dr Godwin Mmaduka, MD / CEO Las Vegas, Health institute, USA.
Post credit: Chike Ekwealor