Be Appreciative Of Govt Efforts, Buhari Tells #BringBackOurGirls Campaigners

President Muhammadu Buhari on Thursday told BringBackOurGirls campaigners and parents of the over 200 girls abducted from their school in Chibok in 2014 that he expected them to be appreciative of the efforts his government had been making to rescue the girls.
He said he wakes up thinking about the girls who are in captivity, adding that it would be wrong to believe that his administration had not been doing anything about their plight.
Buhari addressed the campaigners and the parents of the girls behind closed doors inside the old Banquet Hall of the Presidential Villa.

Leader of the campaigners, Mrs. Oby Ezkwesili, told reporters of the outcome of the meeting.

Ezekwesili said the President also insisted at the meeting that he had no credible information on the current location of the abducted girls.
“The President stated that he would also have expected us to acknowledge the efforts that they have so far made and that we failed to acknowledge the efforts they have made, but that he wishes that we would agree that he is very committed to the matter of our Chibok girls.
“He used the specific phrase that he sleeps and wakes up thinking about the rescue of our girls,” Ezekwesili said.
She said Buhari, therefore, asked for understanding, assuring them that efforts were being intensified to free the girls.

She said, “What the President essentially said is that his statement during the media chat that they do not have credible intelligence was him being truthful in the way that he knows how to be and that he was not prepared to tell any lies.
“He insisted that they do not have the kind of reliable intelligence that would enable them rescue the girls as immediately as we are demanding.
“He said that we should continue to try to bear with him and that based on the fact that the government has recorded considerable success in decimating Boko Haram and its hold over the North-East Zone and that what remains is the matter of rescuing our Chibok girls and other affected citizens that are in abduction.
“He said, therefore, we will have to wait and that they would make the effort. He pleaded with the parents that his government would place as much efforts (as possible) to rescuing the girls and that was the same message he had given to them before and that he was repeating the same message.”

Going forward, the former Minister of Education said her group would continue to demand for the action that is necessary to rescue our Chibok Girls.
She said the movement also demanded that the presidential fact-finding committee report on Chibok girls which was conducted during the previous administration be made public.
She added that they demanded a fresh investigation into the circumstances that led to the girls’ abduction.
“So we are demanding that this administration will quickly agree with the demands of these parents that new investigation be made even as General Sabo report is being disclosed,” she said.
Share on Google Plus

About Dr Khalidz

    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment

Pls Note:Views expressed in comments are those of the comment writers alone and does not reflect or represent that of Naijacynth